Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day One

After a great slumber I got up and had a café at the Café du Progrés and departed for my first journey on the Gitane.  The plan was to head to the hilltop town of Bonnieux for their Friday market.  It was a straightforward ride with a nice climb at the end after which I was deposited in the pleasant environs of Bonnieux centre ville.



L'eglise in Bonnieux


I arrived at around 10 am and the market was in full flow, all manner of food and clothing was on hand and I took a delicious amount of time surveying the scene prior to picking up a variety of olives, cheeses, jams and some truly unique saucisson.  I nabbed the Ane, sanglier aux olives and the Arles (a blend of beef and pork).
Before I launched into the market, I had the good sense to stop by the restaurant Le Fournil and snag a reservation for lunch, probably the best thing I did all day!!



Fountain on the terrace of Le Fournil


On arrival at Le Fournil, Jean Christophe, the co-proprietor warmly greeted me and sat me right next to the fountain, lovely.  My experience there was wonderful, all the food was first class and the service prompt and friendly.  Jean Christophe is a very kind and welcoming chap and his partner Gary is an extraordinary chef.

If you want to visit this restaurant please be sure to make a reservation, I counted at least 30 parries that were turned away because they did not have a reservation.
My lunch was delicious, a verrine de courgette with a crab confit, swiftly followed by a gorgeous filet de Merou (a type of grouper).  For dessert I opted for the panna cotta with raspberry coulis, also delicious.



Fabulous Grouper at Le Fournil


I left Le Fournil fully sated and knowing that I will return, this is a special place with great food but also soulful service, a pleasure to eat here.

The rest of the journey home was uneventful and mostly downhill :). The Gitane acquitted itself quite well and I am very pleased with the purchase.

Dinner that night was at Le Gaboulet in Menerbes, I was hoping for better but at best it was average food. I'll try again soon but am not hopeful.

You can see more pictures from this ride here


No comments:

Post a Comment