Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Slow in the mornings, not too fast in the afternoons

That's the local saying here in Provence and what a marvelous anecdote it is!  As I continue to get acclimated here, my pulse has slowed and life appears actually simpler.  Some friends have asked "what do you do there?" Here's a look at a typical day.

My pre-ride morning routine now encompasses popping down to the Boulangerie to pick up a croissant or a pain au chocolat (sometimes both :) )



My local Boulangerie


and heading over to the Café du Progrès where I either sit at the bar and chat to the colorful locals or head out to the terrace to enjoy my grand café crème with my croissant.  The marvelous view from the terrace looks like this.

The view from the terrace at Café du Progrès

After breakfast I normally take a ride on my bike and try to visit somewhere new each day.  I'm normally back by 10-11 am and I sit and write for 2-3 hours.  Lunchtime is a big occasion in Provence and I have taken to it rather well, reserving at least 2-3 hours for the French national sport of eating!




Amazing appetizer at La Prèvoté


After lunch I spend a mostly ponderous though sometimes inspired couple of hours writing before popping a bottle of rosé and nibbling on some cheese, olives etc.




Snacking Provençal style


Dinner is around 8:30-9:00 and I usually pop back in to Café du Progrès for a convivial Pastis with the owners Patrick and Carmen before bed.




Carmen and Patrick owners of Café du Progrès


All the windows in the house are open 24/7 and I am entertained by the sounds of children laughing, neighbours chatting and the fountain of the winter church which is outside my bedroom window and provides a continuous, yet soothing background soundtrack.




The fountain of the winter church


No TV but of course I have music from my iPod, its a grand existence.

Simple, laid back but productive. La vie en France!

No comments:

Post a Comment